Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Belly Button Coughs

You may ask yourself what do coughing and your belly button have in common? If you are Sean, then they have a lot to do with one another. He has this thing lately about wanting to be naked all the time. He will wear underwear and sometimes socks but he doesn't want to be bothered by the rest of it. He only does this at home and luckily doesn't fight me when we go out or when he goes to school!

So, it was about 45 degrees out and chilly in the house too. I walk into the living room and see that he has taken off his shirt yet again. I tell him to put it back on because he will get cold. I even try to bargain with him and say he can wear a t-shirt instead of a long sleeved shirt. No dice. His response was, "I can't have anything covering my belly button." I say, "Why is that Sean?" He says, "Because it makes me cough." What can I say? This kid just pulls things out of no where.

So, as you might of guessed, I help him put his shirt on. Well, maybe help isn't the right word. I wrestle with him and try to pull the shirt down over his big head. All the while he kicks and screams and tries to pull the shirt back off. Dressing a kid that wants to be naked should really be an Olympic sport, or at least involve some specialized training. It can be on right after getting a toddler buckled into a car seat against his will and diapering a one-year old! Ooooh and my favorite would be cleaning up a diaper blowout!

Okay, so his shirt is on but socks are now off. I can't win it all in one day! He looks at me and is very angry that I made him put a shirt on. He is making eye contact with me and wearing his the meanest face he can muster up. Then he gets a smirk. You know that "I am trying so hard to be mad at you and now I am going to do something to show you how mad I am" smirk. Sean then coughs and coughs and coughs. I have to turn away from him because I cannot keep the laughter from escaping. You know the "oh my gosh you are so darn cute and so darn funny and so-o-o bad" laugh!

He says, "See Mom, when my belly button is covered I have to cough." I looked at him with a smile and he smiled a cute little smile right back at me. He knew that I knew he was lying, so he was going to bat his lashes and smile his heart out. I say, If you have a bad cough, I should call the doctor and get you an appointment." He asks, "Will I get a shot?" I don't want to totally lie so I say, "Hmmm. I am not really sure, but maybe. I don't know how serious belly-button-covered-coughs are." He looks at me with a fear in his eyes. I stare back at him with victory in my eyes. And what do you know - the coughing stopped!

I know, I know so mean to use the doctor, but hey it worked. Another score for Mom! I am still way behind but I will take every point I can get.

No comments: