Friday, December 19, 2008

Happy Birthday Gram!

Today was my Grandmom's birthday. I miss her so much. I really wish she could have been here to meet the boys. I know they would just adore her, and she them. My Gram and I got really close when I went away to college. She wrote me letters a few times a week and was really good at sending care packages with freshly baked cookies and cash!!! Actually she typed most of my letters - on a big metal typewriter. Correction tape and all. And letters with Xs through them when she ran out of correction tape. I keep the letters in a box in the back of my closet. They are one of my most prized possessions. Today, in honor of the day she was born, I thought I would share an excerpt from one of her letters. Enjoy!

Yesterday (Sunday), I went out shopping to K-Mart early to pick up some advertised SPECIALS...are you familiar with the "Blue Light"?...well..in the store when the announcement comes over the loud speaker that an item is going to be discounted one must find they lady with the "Blue Light"...that is if it is something one wants...OK...now picture this...I was in ladies undies when I hear that the $1.98 Halloween planter is on sale for $one buck...so I drop my panties and head for the plane dept..I buy two of those cute little plastic pumpkins with some green (live) Ivy in them and the Blue Light Lady puts blue stickers on them for one dollar...what a bargain!!!

So...now I go back to ladies undies...it is in the opposite end of the store and before I can decided if I want beige or white briefs I hear a voice saying (this is over the intercom...no I am not hearing voices...yet...another year or so...maybe...) so, this voice announces that there is a very Special deal on Halloween planters for the next five minutes....fro 50 cents...no I really feel that I've been had...so I dash back to the Blue Light Broad...and she covers up my one buck blue tag with the fifty cent blue tag and I decided to buy two more...just think of all the money I am saving...now my only problem is what do I do with four pumpkin planters???...for sure your mom will be the LUCKY one to get a Halloween Surprise!

All of the above is true...and my friend Betty and her sister Ro are the lucky recipients of an unexpected and probably unwanted gift!

See my life is not that uninteresting.

Love, Gram

No comments: