Sunday, October 18, 2009

Why Now?

They say to never expect a smooth ride with adoption paperwork. I don't know why I thought that I would be the exception to the rule. First it took our legals about two weeks longer than expected to get here.

Then USCUS changed the whole system for submitting the legals and I-600 form. Before Oct. 6th, everything got mailed directly to Newark, NJ. Now everyone has to first mail their paper work to a lock box facility in Texas. (I have no idea what a lock box facility is.)They look over the paper work, log it in, and then send it to Newark. I am so confused and not sure why this extra step is necessary! And why do I have to be among the first to try the new process?

I guess things could go really smoothly, but I have nothing to go by. I am like a guinea pig and my mind races with what to expect. And NJ had really fast processing times - most I-600 approvals came within 3-4 weeks! Some states were taking months! If my approval takes longer than a month I may just lose it!

So, I mailed the paper work to Texas on Wednesday. I sent it certified with return receipt so that I could track it and confirm that it got there. The man at the post office said it should arrive in 2-3 days. So, Friday night I checked on the tracking information - nothing listed except that it was accepted at our local post office!

I checked again today. And it said notice left after attempted delivery on Oct. 17th. Um, you would think that the postal system would know that USCIS isn't open on Saturdays. The notice tells them that they must pick it up at the post office within 14 days or it will be returned to me! What!?!?!?!!? I really hope they attempt to deliver it again. Apparently, I cannot get them try to deliver it again. Only the recipient can initiate redelivery! I am trying really hard to keep calm. But if it doesn't get delivered tomorrow......I just don't know what I will do!

1 comment:

Waiting4OurAngel said...

Oh my goodness--I am so sorry you are having this trouble! Hoping they try again tomorrow.