Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy Lunar New Year!

I spent most of last night and a lot of time today preparing a meal of Korean food for the New Year! It is a good thing that we now have grocery stores in the area that carry a wide variety of ethnic foods. A few days before I made the Kimchi - Chinese cabbage with red pepper paste and sesame oil and green onions. It was so spicy I could barely even be near it, but it was good when mixed with other things. I made jook which is like a rice porridge infused with ham and ginger and other spices. I made Bulgogi - thinly sliced steak with a marinade of sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, and black pepper. It was so good!!!

I also made sticky white rice and steamed broccoli to go with it. Then there was the Mandu - dumplings stuffed with tofu, mushrooms, ground beef, ginger, green onion, kimchi, sesame oil, rice wine, and garlic. Then they had a soy sauce and sesame oil dip! They were a favorite around here! For dessert we had Ho Dduk - which are like shaped like pancakes but taste like cinnamon rolls! I could have eaten about 20 of them!

All in all, for my first time making Korean food, it was a huge success! I really enjoyed all of it and will definitely make it again soon!


Bulgogi, Jook, Mandu

Ho Dduk

No comments: