Monday, January 12, 2009

Mamma Never Said...

...anything about Infertility and Loss. As a young girl, I never imagined that any of this would happen, especially to me. The school nurse and phys-ed teachers make it all seem so simple. Just have unprotected sex. Egg and sperm meet. Nine months later you get a baby...

My mom got pregnant with my brother and I with no trouble at all - you can say we were both welcomed, although not planned surprises. My Dad is one of eight. All of my aunts and uncles have at least two kids. I figured I would have no trouble at all. I figured wrong.

No one said anything about needles or vaginal ultrasounds. No one said anything about early miscarriage or second trimester loss. No one said anything about countless doctor visits or sperm in a cup. No one said anything about petri dishes or ultrasounds with no heartbeat. No one said anything about post coital tests or surgeries. No one said anything about D&Cs or HSG tests. No one said anything about blood draws or measuring medications . No one said anything about waiting for news from a phone calls or allergic reactions to progesterone. No one said anything about tears or pain. No one said anything about cancelled cycles or habitual aborter testing. No one said anything about c-sections or hyperstimulation. No one said anything about bed rest or ovarian pain. No one said anything about embryos that didn't survive or bleeding from injection sites. No one said anything about veins collapsing or arms, bottom and belly being bruised. No one said anything about PCOS or poor morphology....

The one thing that I am grateful for is that no one said never. Me, Brian, our parents, our close friends, our family, my infertility doctors, my OB - they all believed in me, the medicine, and themselves - for that I will always be thankful.

No comments: