Tuesday, March 4, 2008

New Shapes and Zuchinni Shrimp

Sean was playing a game of hide the toy Hippo and Mommy guess where it is. At age four he is not a very good 'hider' and I have to make silly guesses to keep the game interesting. For example, he put the hippo on the floor and then put a few pillows on top of it. So I guessed in the car, on the roof, in his mouth etc. to make him laugh and think that I couldn't find it. Then I had to tend to Justin and wasn't paying attention to where he hid it next. He said, "Mom, where is hippo?"

I looked around and was surprised that it wasn't obvious, maybe he was getting better at this game. I made a few guesses - under the cushions, in the high chair, behind the TV and so on. I think at first he was trying to root me on -he said, "Keep trying harder, Mom." After another few guesses he was getting frustrated with me. So he said, "I will help you with a clue Mom. It is behind something shaped like ....., shaped like....... shaped like a.....mailbox! Thanks for obvious clue Sean. And there it was behind the little Fisher Price mailbox. I wonder if he learned that shape in pre-school - circle, square, triangle, mailbox!

I have been trying to get the boys to eat more of a variety of foods. They do eat really well, but I think they are lacking on the seafood part. Brian and I love it, so we think the kids should eat more of it. I guess they haven’t had much because of their food allergies. I was told to wait to introduce some common allergens like shellfish and peanuts. So, tonight for dinner I decided to let them try shrimp. Both of them immediately made faces. I really think that they are born with the 'if you make me eat this I might die' face. My kids are so good at it - they must practice in front of a mirror to get it just right.

They came into the kitchen and saw me cutting up veggies for a salad to go with dinner. They both took one look at the cucumber and almost simultaneously said, "I am not eating any zucchini!" I told them that it was a cucumber and they both asked if they could have some. Go figure. I think sometimes it is more of what something is called that makes their decision about whether or not they will eat it. When I first gave them cauliflower they wouldn't eat it. They love broccoli so I told them another name for it was white broccoli. Now they cannot get enough of it. It was still the same old cauliflower - but when called white broccoli I guess it takes on a new taste.

Brian eventually ate a few of the shrimp. He took big swallows of water to wash them down, but he ate them. Sean on the other hand was having a hard time. He would get it almost to his mouth and pause. Then he would stick out his tongue and lick it. Just a small lick produced a face of horror. He scrunched up his face and wiped his tongue with a napkin. He then said, "I don't like shrimp! Yuck! I knew it, shrimp tastes just like zucchini!" Brian Sr. and I had to cover our faces so that he wouldn't see us laughing. Maybe that will be the next new saying - Frog legs -tastes just like zucchini or alligator - tastes just like zucchini!

1 comment:

Kathy V said...

That is so funny! I never knew that shrimp tasted like zucchini.