Saturday, January 5, 2008

Naked Pork Roll

If you have never heard of pork roll then click here. First, I have to start by saying that I never knew that pork roll was a New Jersey food. Apparently, it originated in Trenton. I figured that it lined grocery store shelves all over the country - maybe even the world! I guess pork roll is like smoked ham. It comes in a big round 'roll' or in circular pieces that are already sliced either thin or thick. I prefer to have two thin on a roll more than one thick so that I can put the cheese between the two slices. Add a little mustard and Yum!

So, Sean and Brian Sr. love pork roll. Sean asks for three things over and over and over - pork roll sandwiches, hamburgers, and sloppy joes. I see a roll/sandwich commonality here. When we go grocery shopping he asks for ground meat - needed for hamburger and sloppy joes. He also searches the aisles for Manwich sloppy joe mix and for pork roll. If he gets his hands on any of those items, he carries them around and hugs them. He jumps up and down when I make any of them for dinner.

He even gets excited for left-overs the next day. If we run out of rolls, he will eat pork roll or hamburger cut up and even use nacho chips or crackers to dip in the sloppy joe mixture! He can be pretty resourceful when he wants to be! He likes to dip pretzel rods into the peanut butter jar too. It is pretty good, but he makes a really big mess in the peanut butter!

Brian was going to make pork roll for lunch today and asked Sean if he wanted a sandwich. Sean said, "I want pork roll, but I want it naked." Brian asked, "So, you just want it plain on a roll, no mustard or ketchup?" Sean said, "No, I just want it naked on a plate." Brian asked, "Cut up on a plate with no roll?" Sean said, "Yes, naked like a new baby!"We both laughed and laughed. This kid is just too much sometimes!

No comments: