Friday, January 4, 2008

Popsicle Trickery

Brian and Sean had a play-date after school today. They were having such a great time that the play-date turned into dinner. We had yummy spaghetti and meatballs! I even learned that with not one once of Italian in me, that I make meatballs just as Italians do! I knew my meatballs were good, but it was nice to learn it from and authentic source!

The kids all ate a good dinner, then the adults ate, and by then the kids were looking for dessert. Brian had an ice cream sandwich and the rest of the kids had popsicles. Sean picked purple and ate his popsicle in about fifteen seconds flat. I think he is missing the brain freeze gene. He can eat cold things so quickly with no ill effects. He just bites and chews popsicles like it is nothing. It makes my head and teeth hurt just thinking about it!

So, because he bit the popsicle, he was finished before the rest of the kids had even left a dent in their dessert. He came strolling back into the kitchen. He proceeded to pull out all the tricks - head down, sad puppy dog eyes, and boo-boo lip out so far it was on his chest. He told me, "I am really sad. Before I got my popsicle, I wanted to lick it so that it would last a long time." I said, "Why didn't you do that?"

In his saddest voice ever, he said, " I just forgot that I wanted to lick it and then I started biting it and then it was all gone." I had to laugh at this. Then my friend saved him and asked him if he wanted another popsicle. All of a sudden is frown was turned upside down and he said, "Yes. Can I have a red one please?" She handed him a red one and told him to remember to lick it this time.

He said, "Okay, thank you" with a smile and then went back to join the other kids. We watched him sit down at the table and eat his popsicle. He did only lick it the first few minutes, but it wasn't long before the second one was devoured in big bites too. All the other kids were still on their first one, and Sean had bitten his way through two popsicles!

He got up and came back in the kitchen to throw his stick away. He did try the sympathy trick again and started to give me the long, sad face. I immediately knew what he was up to and told him, "No more popsicles." He said, "Aw, man!" and let out a big sigh.

I guess he knew the gig was up and went to find something else to do. Sean really scares me sometimes with is intelligence. He had come into the kitchen looking to trick me into another popsicle. Right now I can see right through his antics, but I fear for the future...

No comments: