Sunday, April 6, 2008

Flag Football Fiasco

Brian had his first flag football game today. He started practice last weekend and it was kind of a skills challenge to teach kids about how to move and throw the ball. He was so excited to finally be playing football! He is not allowed to play tackle football yet - one I feel that he is too young and two there is such a time commitment with games and practices.

It was really cold and more like fall than spring sports weather. Brian was dressed and ready to go about two hours before game time. He kept looking at the clock and reporting back how much time was left until we left. I guess he was afraid that I would forget or something!

We got to the field and he was ready to go. They warmed up a bit with some running and jumping jacks. If you have never seen a kid do jumping jacks, then you are missing something. There is a certain age when they acquire the coordination to do them, but before that it is just a mess! After that they ran a few plays and the coach gave them a pep talk.

They were the home team so the other team got the ball first. They scored on the first play. My heart sank - I had a bad feeling they were not only going to lose, but get clobbered! To my surprise Brian's team also scored and hope returned! But, after that things quickly went downhill. The other team scored on almost every possession and they were soon up by more than a couple touchdowns.

Despite the loss, Brian had a great game. He rushed the ball a few times for some good yardage. He made a few "tackles" by grabbing flags and even dove for one to come up with the flag and a face full of dirt! He really puts 100% into whatever he plays. That is why it is so devastating for him to lose. At the half I could just see the defeat in his eyes. I told him he was playing well and that all I cared about was that he tries his best. He said, "I am trying my best, but sometimes it just isn't enough." My heart broke a little for him. It was so sad to hear him say this and even sadder because it is such an adult lesson for a seven year old to learn. I know that sometimes I can want something so badly and put 110% effort into it and it still doesn't guarantee me a 'win.'.

To make matters worse the opposing coach is what I would call out of control. And at times probably a step beyond out of control. He was running around the field and going absolutely nuts whenever they scored - even when they were ahead by five touchdowns. The poor kids on our team were so sad and you could just see their eyes and heads drop lower and the coach carried on around the field. The other coach also did nothing when the other team grabbed our flags and threw then down on the field. It was definitely done in an 'in your face' type of manner and it made me so upset.

I was glad to see that when Brian got a flag from another player that he handed it back to them or to the referee. I know I have just begun the long journey of time at sporting events. I just wish that some of the coaches would realize that they are coaching six and seven year olds and not the Super Bowl. As much as I want Brian to be happy and to win some games, I much happier that he is a good sport and is lucky enough to have a coach that believes that also. He has had coaches in both baseball and soccer, so far, that play all the players and give all the kids at chance at different positions. I think this is more important than winning and I hope that one day he will realize this too.

No comments: