Monday, April 21, 2008

Sean and Blankie

I never thought that Sean would still be holding onto Blankie at four and a half years old! Brian had a Peter Rabbit stuffed animal, Bun-Buns, that he loved as a baby. By the time he was almost four years old, Bun-Buns still needed to be in his bed but he no longer carried him around. Sean would have Blankie with him all the time if I let him. I do sometimes allow it in the car but not in stores or at school or outside - although he has been known to sneak it into forbidden places!

The funny thing is that I wasn't even his blanket! I was babysitting a little girl and every time she had this particular blanket, he would steal it and hold onto it all day. Sean was only about ten months old at the time!Then it became an obsession. And it was only this blanket, I couldn't get him to like any others. Believe me I did try! Finally the little girl's mom gave it to him. I tried to pay her or to give her another of the many blankets I tried as a replacement but she didn't want anything. She thought is was so funny how much he liked the blanket! We joked and said there was 'baby nip' in it!

Sean loves to carry, well drag, Blankie around the house with him. Blankie rests on his shoulder or head. When he is sitting Sean likes to put Blankie right under his nose and as he says, "Smell Blankie." He does the tongue thrust (mouth motions like with a pacifier, only no pacifier) thing when Blankie is up by his mouth. Blankie is used to keep warm and has been known to double as a super hero cape. Now that Blankie is falling apart, he even puts himself inside it!

He has a favorite corner, how he knows which one is the best I will never know! But there is definitely one corner that obviously receives the most love. The thread has come out around this corner and the two layers have come apart. Sean can put his head in between the layers and climb inside. He was also hides things in there too. The matchbox cars and action figures were fine but I had to put a stop to the food scraps and candy! I told him there would be ants in his bed if he kept doing it. And his response - "Cool!"

I think Blankie is what started the everything yellow for Sean. Believe it or not but Blankie used to be yellow! Even though Blankie is dirty most days and covered in syrup, milk, candy stickies, and unidentified filth, he is well loved. I keep wanting to sew him or put a new ribbon around the edge, but my Mom says that Blankie is supposed to fall apart. She told me that letting it go to shreds is how I finally get rid of it. I never knew that but she said that is how I finally broke the habit. In the end I had only a tiny square left of Pinky! Blankie has carried out his service beyond the call of duty and makes this one little boy so happy! Thanks Blankie!


no Blankie here but couldn't resist the face -
I guess he has the tongue curl gene!
smelling Blankie

hiding behind Blankie

watching TV

getting tired

No comments: