Saturday, April 19, 2008

Ring, Ring, Ring!

I am so excited to say that our social worker called tonight - and of course I wasn't home. The boys and I came home after school to relax after they played on the playground. A bit later I had to run a few errands and we went out. The social worker left a message at 5:15 pm. I finished up dinner and got the boys fed before calling her back. It was so hard to wait, but I wasn't sure how much she would want to talk. I have enough experience to know that hungry kids equal me not being able to talk on the phone.

I called her back at 6:35 pm and the phone just rang and rang. As each ring echoed in my ear my heart began to race faster and faster. I was so nervous-exited-anxious-happy. The phone kept ringing. I thought that maybe I dialed a wrong number, so I hung up and tried again. To my dismay the same thing happened. There was no answer and no answering machine. I was so upset. Here is was the call I was waiting for and I was out. And then when I was ready to call her back - nothing! The story of my life!

At 6:39 pm, the phone rang. It was my social worker!!! She said that her phone was not working and that she was on her cell phone. She asked me when I wanted to meet. I thought this was a funny question - when did I want to meet? Yesterday! I then asked what times were available. She said can we do tomorrow afternoon, if that is good. TOMORROW!?! I think she probably heard me swallow the lump in my throat. I told her that Brian had a baseball game at 2:00 but that we could meet after that! She said it was fine and asked if I had any questions. I was still in shock from finding out that our first visit was tomorrow that I couldn't think of any questions.

After I hung up the phone, I looked around the house. Boy did I have a lot of cleaning to do! I got started right away and spent most of tonight cleaning and straightening and doing wash! I know that the house doesn't have to be perfect. She won't look in closets or open drawers. She won't take a white glove to the top of the fridge. Actually I have heard the opposite is true. If our house was too perfect, especially with three kids, she would think that something was wrong.

Each day the reality of this sets in a little deeper. I think there are so many unknowns and each step that I can cross off of my list is so exciting! It is very much like when I found out I was pregnant. I was so scared in the beginning and almost didn't believe it was all happening. As each week passed and I got closer to delivery, it started to sink in more and more.

A few things along the way took a little longer than expected, so I figure the quick home study visit makes up for it! I cannot wait to add to our family! I am sure that I will have trouble sleeping tonight because my mind will be racing with possibilities! I know the first visit will be the hardest and that things will get better from there. After tomorrow, we will have two more visits to schedule. When they are completed, our social worker will write the home study report and it will be sent to Korea. Then the official waiting begins!

No comments: