Sunday, April 20, 2008

What a Relief!

Ever since the phone call last night, I have been running around the house cleaning like a mad woman. I knew that the house didn't have to be perfect, but I still had a lot to do. I was nervous and had the first date jitters. As the clock got closer to four I began to pace a little and went from room to room making sure things were in order. When our social worker showed up I was immediately relived. She was so warm and friendly and I was at ease right away.

Okay, I admit it. I was worked up and worried for nothing. The home study visit was so easy! Our social worker, D, was so nice and laid back! She came in and started by asking the boys a few questions about getting a new sister, school, interests etc. The boys were well behaved and timidly answered all of her questions. Brian did say that he likes school and that his favorite subject is recess! Ugh!

Next, she went over our file and needed some additional information for the questionnaire that we previously filled out. For example -we had to give the names of our brothers and sisters on the form already. But she asked if they were married and how many kids they each had. She asked some other questions about things we already answered too.

After that she took a quick, and I mean quick, tour of our home. She only briefly visited the rooms of the house and spent the most time in the boys' room and in Justin's room. Sean was so proud to show off his room. He wanted her to see his Legos. D asked, "Did you build all them yourself?" He said, "No I play with them. Mommy always helps me when I want to build one." I couldn't have trained him to say anything better! I was a little afraid about what would come out of their mouths but all was great! I guess it is easier since our house has already been through child-proofing. She was very nice and friendly, but a little hard to read. I guess no news is good news since she didn't really give us any feedback.

As she was getting ready to leave she wanted to schedule our next visit. She asked what day was good for us and Brian said he was off on Thursday. She said that she was also off from her full-time job on Thursday! She told us she would be here around 1:00 pm! I was in shock! I thought it would take a few weeks to get this part done. I also found out that we only have to do two visits, not three. I don't know where I got the three visits from.

So, we will be finished on Thursday with our home study. Then D has to write her report which takes about a week. The report will be sent to the NJ office to be approved. It will next move onto the main office in Oregon. It should take a few weeks for the approvals. After approval in Oregon, it will be sent to Korea and we will be HSTK (home study to Korea). When we are HSTK we will be officially waiting for a referral! We will also be mailed a sealed copy and have to submit it to USCIS with our I-600a form. This is an advance processing form for immigration for Kathryn.

I am so excited to finally be moving along in the process. It feels wonderful to cross things off of my list! I hope to be HSTK in May sometime - then there is not much to do but wait...

4 comments:

Nancy, Jeff, Connor & Porter said...

Phew! So happy & excited for you! I'm sure everything will go great, but it will be a relief for you to get that first meeting with the social worker behind you. You are getting so close to meeting your little girl!!

Nancy, Jeff, Connor & Porter said...

Oops, I left my comment without reading your new post! Wow, you got it done already and now just Thursday to go! How exciting! Sounds like you did great!

Michelle said...

Congrats!! Things seem to be moving along quickly! How wonderful!

Karly's always said her favorite part of school was recess & lunch. Gah!

Kathy V said...

Wow it sounds like things are moving along nicely for you. So glad evertyhing went well for the visit.