Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I've got mail!

I went to get the mail this morning and quickly flipped through it to find the long awaited letter from our adoption agency. I wanted to go through it fast to find what I was looking for but also wanted to go slow so that I didn't miss it. My heart was racing and I quickly looked over the pile while walking back inside. Disappointment slowly crept in as I reached the last piece of mail. No letter.

I stomped into the house and threw the stack of mail down on the table. I picked up the phone to call our agency. As I picked up the phone, I moved the mail to find my notebook with important adoption phone numbers. As I did this, a large envelope slid out from the grocery store circulars. I grabbed it and a huge smile covered my face as I read the return address! It was here! The invoice for our home study visits was finally here! My eyes began to fill with happy tears and I was off to call Brian and my mom! Those two calls were followed by calls to my friends - I was so happy to spread my cheer!

I opened the letter and read through it. It said "we are now able to begin the adoption study process." The letter ended with "We do look forward to working with you towards the placement of one of our children." What wonderful words to here! Justin was taking his morning nap, so the trip to the bank and the post office would have to wait. It was one of the few times that I almost wished he would cut his nap short! The letter said to mail through a secure mail source to the main office. The only address listed was a PO Box, so I called the NJ branch to ask for the street address. I spoke to a woman who was more than happy to help me! She told me congratulations and said that as soon as the main office receives payment they will forward my file to my social worker. When my social worker receives it she will give me a call. The call should come within about a week or so!

When Justin woke up, we went to the bank to get a cashier's check. I wasn't required in the letter, but my thinking was that it would clear faster. I wasn't sure it funds had to be verified before we got our phone call and thought that this might make our wait a little shorter! After the bank we went to the post office. I sent the check and invoice express overnight mail and requested a signature for delivery. It started its journey at 12:19 pm! I have a tracking number and will definitely be checking up on it tomorrow!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, how WONDERFUL!!

Carla(LoverofWords) said...

I have to say that I happened upon your blog by accident but I enjoy reading it. I can definitely empathize with what you were feeling I am awaiting my approval as we speak. I think that I may break down in tears when I get the call that I am approved and set the date for my homestudy. Congrats!!!