Saturday, September 13, 2008

Chu-Suk Celebration

Chu-Suk is one of the biggest holidays in South Korea. The meaning of Chu Suk is described as "bountiful abundance." It is said to be like the American Thanksgiving. Many people travel to visit family home towns. There are a lot of specific foods that are prepared. The theme of the day is basically to just have fun.

There was a local celebration only a few minutes from our home, so the boys and I decided to check it out. As we drove into the parking lot Sean yelled, "Whoa! We drove to China! That was fast!" I know, I know. I will have to have a talk with him! Luckily he got it out of his system while he was still in the back of the van!

When we got there, we saw the last few minutes of a Taekwondo demonstration. Brian and Sean were hooked! They went over to the Taekwondo booth and got some information on classes. The instructors taught them how to kick and punch. They even each got to break a board! The amazement on their faces was priceless. One guy asked the boys if they wanted to take classes and they both said no. I later found out it was because Brian thought he would have to go to Korea to take classes! I had to chuckle at that one!

I tried some dumplings that were really good! They were very doughy and had a sweet kind of barbecue filling. Yum! They boys opted for a hamburger and chips! I got to meet a woman that I have only known through e-mails before. She is with the same adoption agency as we are and they just got a referral of a cute little girl last week! It was so nice to put a face to her. She was so nice and I hope we get to meet up again soon - minus my boys! She is a Mom to four boys, so when they acted up a bit, I knew she understood!

There was some singing and dancing on a stage. Almost all of the songs were in Korean. As we were leaving, we went to the Korean supermarket to browse a bit. Some things were the same as I see in our grocery store - Fritos and Fruit Loops! And others I have never seen in a grocery store before frog legs, hearts, whole fresh squid, black chicken, a lot of duck, and some things that I had no idea what they were. Most items had labels in both Korean and English so that was helpful. I got some giant sweet rice cakes - I believe they are made in the store and they were so good! They boys each picked out a candy - Sean picked lollipops and Brian picked apple gummy candy. I later found out that the candy they picked was all made in Japan!

I think a good time was had by all. It was quite an experience though. We were definitely in the minority, which was so different from what we are used to. The music was different, the language was different, the sights were different, the smells were different, and the food was different. It really gave me some perspective as to what our daughter will be feeling when she comes to the United States. I can only imagine how weird and scary everything will be to her. And the difference is that I know that me feeling out of place and lost was only temporary. She will be so young and I am sure will feel really confused and alone for some time. All we can do is to love her and assure her that we will take care of her, and hope that she learns to accept and trust us sooner rather than later.

Brian and Sean eating burgers

Sean kicking - and breaking a board

Brian admiring what his kick did

No comments: