Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Secrets of the Wash

I have, for a while, been searching for the perfect laundry detergent. I have been on this quest because it seemed to me that whenever people returned clothes to me, that they smelled so much better than mine ever did. I bought the pricey detergents, and the cheaper ones. I tried many combinations of fabric softeners. I used powder and liquid. I even bought of those cool balls that adds the fabric softener at precisely the right time. But, try as I might, I just couldn't seem to replicate that smell. You know that clean laundry smell that just makes you want to bury your face in a warm towel. How this power to have great smelling wash escaped me, I had no idea.

I asked friends which brands they used and tried them too. No luck. For a bit I was convinced that I needed one of those new high efficiency washers. But that is not in the budget at this time. I guess I would be forever sentenced to regular smelling wash. Now don't get me wrong, my wash doesn't smell bad. It just doesn't take me away to a far off place like in the commercials.

Then one day I discovered the secret. As I was folding clothes, my nose was suddenly awakened. That smell. That glorious smell. I held each piece of laundry to my face before I folded it and breathed in its freshness. I had done it! But I had not used or done anything differently than before.

When I did wash the next time, I could not replicate the smell. Now I was really frustrated. I was so close, and now nirvana was slipping out in the rinse cycle somewhere! Where could I have gone wrong? Maybe that last load had less smelly clothes in it? Maybe it was all the dirty little boy clothes robbing me of this ideal aroma? I could not think of anything that made sense!

Then after repeating this cycle of great smelling wash and okay smelling wash, it hit me! When you take the clothes out of the washer right away and then dry them, you get that wondrous bouquet of fragrance. So, the secret was with me all the time. Do wash in a timely manner and it will smell better. When it sits in the washer for a day, or 2, it doesn't quite smell as it should.

Sometimes I do get the fragrance I had sought after for so long, and other times life takes over and I have to re-wash a load because it sat in the washer for more than two days. I did quickly learn how to get rid of the sour smell from leaving wash in the washer for too long. I just wash it in hot water and pour about a cup of vinegar in at the start. It works every time and the clothes do not come out smelling like vinegar!

Maybe as the kids get older, and I have more time, my wash will smell perfect every time. But for now I will find joy when I do wash in a timely manner and a smile will grow on my face I as fold the fragrant bliss that some call clean wash!

2 comments:

Kathy V said...

Well I am glad for you that you found your nirvana with your laundry scent. Hop on over to my blog to hear about what happened to my laundry. Can't wait for your comments either!

Soralis said...

I loooove the smell of clean laundry! I am so glad I am not the only one who leaves laundry in the wash, I miss my main floor laundry room that I had in my other house!