Friday, September 5, 2008

The Ear Infection That Wouldn't Quit!

I think I forgot to post last week that Justin got his first ever ear infection. The allergist noticed it at his appointment on the 30th. I felt really bad not knowing. Justin had been sleeping fine. He did have a runny nose and was a bit cranky, I just figured he had a cold. The allergist said he had a double ear infection and that his ears were really red and the right one had fluid in it. So, he gave me a prescription for an antibiotic. The antibiotic had a weird name and it was not the usual pink one that Brian and Sean had before.

Well, today has been 6 days on the antibiotic and Justin began to feel miserable again. This time even the outside of his ears were red and warm to the touch. He was clingy and whiny and began pulling on his ears by mid morning. I called his pediatrician and went in to have his ears checked. She told me they were both still infected and as red as a fire truck! I felt so bad for Justin, again! She was so surprised that he was napping and sleeping normally. She said he was one tough kid because it usually hurts more to lie down when you have an ear infection!

She gave me a prescription for a new antibiotic and I went to fill it right away. This was one step up from the pink stuff and hopefully it will do the trick! Wait, let me rephrase that - it had better do the trick! This poor kid should have been feeling better after about 24-36 hours and he here is almost a week later and still in pain. And that is not even counting the horrible diaper rash and diarrhea he has had from the antibiotics. And now he has to endure that for another ten days! Poor guy! The doctor said to call if he is not feeling some relief by Monday. Fingers crossed!

No comments: