Sunday, October 28, 2007

Mom said...

Sean came in from the backyard with a broken pair of plastic pliers to show me. He and Brian were decked out in, as they say, "worker guy" attire. Tool belts and plastic tools, gloves and work boots. I have to tell them all the time that they are play tools and not to be used like real tools. But, of course, they still try to fix their swingset or bikes and the tools get broken.

So, Sean is standing in front of me with the broken pliers. He asks me, "Mom can you get me some glue?" Well, the pliers are beyond being glued - and even if the handle sticks back on for a second, I guarantee it won't last long. I tell him that I cannot glue them and he gives me a sad face. I reiterate the talk about pretending with the tools since they are toys and playing gently with them. I tell him they are just plastic and will break when matched up against wood and metal.

I saw the next question coming. He says, "Okay. Can we go in the garage and use Daddy's tools then?" Does he think I was born yesterday. If they take apart the swings and the bike, I will never get them back together! I say, "Sorry, but no. They are only for grown-ups." I then say, "Go back out into the yard and tell Brian what I said about being careful with the tools." Sean says, "Okay Mom." I say, "Don't forget." He says , "I won't."

He literally walks through the dining room, maybe fifteen feet, and out onto the porch. I hear him yell, "Brian!" I cannot believe it and a smile comes over my face. My little boy is growing up, he is actually going to follow directions and do as he was told! Yipee! Then Sean says, "Mom said to tell you something." Oh, darn, so close. I should have known it was too good to be true. Oh well, maybe next time he will get it!

No comments: