Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Two Thumbs Down

I watched a Lifetime movie on Saturday night called Hush Little Baby. It has to be one of the strangest movies I have ever seen, a little girl drowns in a river and the mom feels guilty. Then the mom gets pregnant on birth control. The baby she has seems evil to her and she thinks it is trying to kill her. The movie makes you think she had post-partum depression and then post-partum psychosis. The baby only does bad things when no one else is around. I think I only watched the movie because it was so strange.

Then at the end, they show on the baby video monitor that the baby was really evil and did get up and walk around and one time pushes the mom down the steps - all at about 6 months old! Crazy. Then the last few seconds of the movie have the baby up where the camera is on the wall. She is staring into it from about two inches away - really creepy. I wished I hadn't watched it but luckily had no bad dreams. I hate scary movies!

The worst part is that the movie portrayed unsafe baby care - even though it was made in 2007. Some of the things they showed were scarier that the movie! The first thing I noticed is that they put the baby in the crib with a comforter like blanket over her. Then when the mom puts her in the infant carrier car seat, she buckles a seat belt-like clip around the babies waist only - she does this twice! What? Then the mom is in the car driving and looks back at the baby. And what do you know - the baby is staring right back at her. The baby is a few months old and riding forward-facing!

Oh, and at one time the mom tries to nurse the baby and it bites her. She yells and puts her hand to her breast. She then looks at it and has her whole hand and wrist are covered in blood. It even drips from her hand to the floor! What a way to scare new moms away from breast feeding. For the record I have been bit before and it does hurt for a second. But none of the boys have ever drawn even a drop of blood - even when they had teeth. So unrealistic!

The other strange thing is that they live in a huge old house and the baby's room is up on like the 4th floor - so far away from the living area of the house. So, whenever they baby cries or they need to go and get her, they have to climb three or four flights of steps! I seemed to be in a trance watching this - I figured a movie can't be this bad. I kept waiting or it to get better and to make sense but it never did... Don't watch it - I expected better from Lifetime!

No comments: