Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Passing Time

I find myself trying to make the wait until Kathryn is in my arms seem shorter. For some reason listing events and holidays helps for me. I say things like this will be the last trip to the beach without a referral. This will be the last 4th of July without a picture. This coming Christmas the last one without our daughter. Thanksgiving too - she should be here in time for turkey next year.

I did this when I was pregnant too. Only two months will be left after Christmas - even though it was July! Brian's last birthday without a sibling. When we come the beach next summer we will have a new baby! I will have another baby by my birthday. I will need a Halloween costume for a baby!

I have no idea why I think this way. Ten months just seems longer than saying this is the last summer at the beach. Maybe because I know how fast holidays and vacations zoom by. Maybe I am just trying to think of happy times to come that will help to pass the time. Whatever the reason I find myself doing it all of the time. I know I probably drive people crazy with my time lines! I also know the closer we get to bringing her home, the crazier I will get!

I was looking at a can of soup in the pantry the other day and the expiration date said July 2009. I got excited because we really should have a referral and be waiting on a travel call by then. Also there it was, a date in the future, stamped on a can, for my eyes to see. It gave reality to the date. It will be coming and she will be home. I can read it on the can, so it must be true. Food will be good for longer than my wait. And is not astronaut food or army rations. Real food. We are making progress!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I count time the same way. :)

Hope you are having a great summer while you wait!

Just Me. said...

I can feel you counting down the days!

I am counting down with you!

Kathy V said...

Okay I will play along. This birthday I celebrate in October will be the last one without a child. (assuming I wait) This will be the last Halloween I have to dress my dogs instead of my child cause next year I will need a Baby costume. Baby will be here in time for Thanksgiving.