Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Birds and Bees, Oh My!

Yep, leave it to another kid to get my kids asking the big questions. I was taking their friend K home from swim lessons this morning. K is a bit jealous of Brian and Sean for having "such a cute baby brother like Justin." K has a little brother but he is four years old and not so cute anymore. K has told me numerous times that he wishes for a baby brother, not a kid like the one he has. K's parents tell me to not even joke about it, so I would say K has no chance.

Today, Brian was telling K that not only does he have a baby brother, but that he is getting a baby sister soon too. K doesn't believe him at first.

K - Brian and Sean's Mom, is Brian getting a sister?

Me - Yes.

K - Are you pregnant?

Me - No.

K - Do you know you are going to get pregnant soon? (I wish it was that simple)

Me - No. We are adopting her.

K - Oh, 'cause your belly didn't look too big. (gee thanks!)

K - Um, were you pregnant with Brian, and Sean, and Justin?

Me - Yes, they grew in my belly, just like you and B grew in your Mom's.

Brian - How do babies get in girls' bellies anyway?

Me - Oh, they just do.

Brian - How? (darn that inquisitive boy!)

Me - When a Mom and Dad love each other very much sometimes a baby grows.

Brian - Oh.

K - How do you know it is in there?

Me - (ugh) Uh, you go to the doctor. (and pee on a stick 900 times, have 20 blood tests and 7 vaginal ultra sounds and at the same time try not to totally lose it)

Brian - How do you know when to go.

Me - Oh, girls just know!

Brian - Remember when you had two babies in your belly? Why did one die?

Me - (deep breath and a sigh) Yes, I remember that baby all the time. I don't know why....

Finally got to K's house and then the conversation turned to a play-date! Phew! I think I dodged a bit of a bullet there. Good thing the ride wasn't any longer, although a few minutes shorter would have been even better. Luckily no more birds and bees questions today. Why in the world do they call it 'the birds and the bees' anyway?

Watched Jon and Kate later and they were watching an animal show for movie night! I had to laugh when they told the kids that the mating animals were playing piggy-back rides! I might have to remember that one!

4 comments:

Lollipop Goldstein said...

We've been having the "how did I come out" line of questioning over here. Damn kids are hards with their questions!

Kathy V said...

Well atleast you answered them in a good way. Kids always ask questions like that when you are unprepared for them. Great answers though.

Debz said...

I think you did real good. And the Jon & Kate epsiode was adorable. Thoses kids giggled themselves silly at the ducks falling/jumping out of the tree, but the "pigybacking" was RICH!

Nic said...

Well ducked, I bet you don't get off so easy next time!!! (I am being smug as my 2 haven't reached that conversation yet!)