Monday, May 26, 2008

What Was I Thinking?

First day at the pool...and I may never do it again without help! Our town pool actually consists of three pools - a rectangular pool ranging from about 3 feet to 5 feet with lap lines etc. (we call it the big pool), a baby pool which is a round pool with a fountain like spray in the middle, and a splash pool that has all kinds of fountains, sprayers and waterfalls. The problem is that Brian and Sean want to be in the big pool and you have to be four years old before you are allowed in. Which means no one in diapers! Which rules out Justin and try as I might I don't think he can pass for four even with a hat, sunglasses and a trench coat - not this summer anyway!

So, I have to try to keep Justin from falling, eating other people's food, stealing towels and shoes, hitting other babies in the head with his toy truck and falling into the pool and at the same time keep an eye on the big guys who are actually in the pool! And since he is now a proficient walker, all I have to do is turn around and he is gone! This is okay at home but at the pool and at the beach, it is a major problem!

When I got home, I did as any Mom in my situation would do. I researched those outdoor gates/baby fences! I then called around to see if I could find anyone who has one that they are no longer using. I am still waiting on a few calls back. My Mom suggested a harness to tie to a pole - what kind of Grandmom is she!?! I can see it now - me on the 6 o'clock news in handcuffs as they try to untangle a one year old from a leash! I keep saying over and over that my Mom told me to do it. I am not saying that baby harnesses are all bad - but I cannot just leave my kids tied to a pole like a dog outside of a grocery store!

Then we decided that if I were to invest in a baby gate, or be lucky enough to borrow one, that there might be some money to be made. If the fence was big enough I could start a drop-off service for all the other Mom's in my predicament! We then joked that if there were enough babies, they would be corralled in like sheep and be shoulder to shoulder. Then my job would be easy because they wouldn't be able to move. But I don't think that it would work because the crying and screaming would make up for the lack of movement. Oh well. I am looking into a fence though -with room for at least for one!

I have been a Mom long enough to know that he probably won't last long in the corral, but a girl can dream! And maybe just maybe if I throw enough toys and snacks in he will last a little longer. And if the gate is big enough, and I sit in with him, I might just get a few more minutes. Now, how I carry it to the pool with all of the other crap gear that I need, well I am still working on that. I am sure it will come to me tonight at about 2 am when I cannot sleep!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are like me, after a day like this you spend the next several days and nights picturing the horrible scenarios that COULD have happened. What is this sickness labeled as Motherhood really?

Anonymous said...

Oh man.... I'm exhausted just reading this (and honestly dreading our first day at the pool tomorrow!)!

(stopping by from NaComThingy!)

Nicole O'Dell said...

Yeah, I'm pretty much thinking that the neighborhood pool will be out of the question for us for a while (trips on the way) lol.

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

NCLM

judy said...

Hey there,
I am stopping over from NaComLeavMo and love your blog. I have four kids the hard way.
We have some stuff in common.
Judy

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! I love it...and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha you could def be onto something with the gated drop off! Thanks for dropping by my blog - yours cracks me up and look forward to reading more!

Hecticmom Undone said...

*laugh* This post made me laugh. You know - a friend and I tried to come up with a business plan for a kids "drop in center" at shopping malls.

Might not be a bad idea at a community pool too. :)

Jamie said...

Thanks for the comment on my site! I am just loving NaComLeavMo!

Your story is too funny! The picture in my head of your little boy harnessed and tied to a pole makes me giggle!

shawna said...

Thank you for stating off my morning with a laugh!

Angela said...

I love this NCLM thing. :o) Thanks for the comment. Your boys are adorable and looks/sounds like they have lots of fun swimming! good luck in your journey to adopt a baby girl. I'll be praying for you!

Pamela T. said...

Over from for a NaComLeavMo visit following your very nice comment. It's good to know that even after all of the heartache you lived through you haven't forgotten about the women still stuck in infertility limbo land.

Sunny said...

Returning your NaComLeavMo! Love the pictures of your boys throughout the blog, they are so adorable. Your daughter is a lucky girl to be joining the fam. :-)

Juicy said...

hmmm, sounds like a sprinkler is in order. Forget the pool and all the stuff that comes with it! That sounds like way too much work. A sprinkler in the yard, maybe a slip-n-slide? That sounds much easier!

Anonymous said...

I have to say I could totally relate to your story. I have twin girls and sometimes I go to the mall or other public places to get them out of the house (esp. in the summer in Arizona). Sometimes I wonder what the heck I'm doing because I all but loose my mind with each of them going different directions.

I did invest in stuffed-animal harnesses for public outings. It's made life easier and they love wearing them (thank God). However, the pool is another story. I wouldn't attempt it without a second adult, you're a brave woman!

P.S. Thanks for visiting my blog.