Thursday, May 15, 2008

First Ice Cream Cone!

Mr. Softee (the ice cream truck around here) was nice enough to drive down our street at 8:30 pm! Brian and Sean had been in bed for about fifteen minutes. I heard the music outside and almost immediately heard footsteps upstairs. They were out of bed and down the steps in a flash! They were smiling and yelling, "Ice cream! Ice Cream!" I looked out the window and there was the truck with its flashing lights and hypnotic music. Mr. Softee doesn't make it down our street too often, so I said yes to ice cream!

Brian and Sean ran out of the house almost as fast as they came down the steps. Brian Sr. and I grabbed some cash and Justin, and headed out the door after them. I got a vanilla cone with rainbow sprinkles, the Brians got chocolate cones, and Sean got a Sponge Bob popscicle! I made a big error in not getting Justin a cone because he practically grabbed mine right out of my hand!

I took one last lick and handed it over. He had so much fun after the initial faces because it was so cold! He didn't even really make too much of a mess until he decided to try to pick up the ice cream with his hand. It was too cold and he tried to drop it. When that didn't work he started shaking his hand to get it off! Brian and Sean thought this was hilarious!

I remember being a kid when Mr. Softee would come around. As I got older we used to chase him on our bikes in the summer. When I was pregnant with Brian, Mr. Softee would stop in front of our apartment and wait for me to waddle down the steps. Now that Mr. Softee is officially making his rounds, I am sure there will be a lot more ice cream in the house! Next time Justin will get his own cone - and bib! Hopefully he comes a little earlier next time!


first taste
too cold!
hands-on technique
biting the cone
big bite!
happy boy
Sean's popscicle
Brian's cone

2 comments:

Mom and Wife said...

Aww so sweet...I wish we had one coming around our neighborhood.

Kathy V said...

We have no kids yet, but the dogs sure do get excited when they hear the ice cream truck music. We live on a dead end and all the kids live on the other end so the truck very rarely passes our house but the dogs get excited even when it is three streets away. We normally have to go to the little ice cream shop two blocks away in order to get our icecream. And yes the dogs know what ice cream is. They usually get the smallest vanilla cone. They love crunching the cone in their mouths.