Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas, Again

My mom was sick for Christmas and was nice enough to keep her germs to herself. We missed her on Christmas day, but it was nice to have presents a few days later too. Sean loved his presents and wanted to play right away. But the moon bounce kicking game didn't work right. At first I though he was doing it wrong but then I couldn't get it to work either. It said kick green and I did and then it said try again. What? Oh well.

Brian got a talking globe. It is really neat - it tells the countries, capitals, and even measures the distance between two points. Sean loves to find Madagascar since he likes the movie. It is an island off the south-east coast of Africa, if you didn't already know. They got a group gift - it was what I used to call Zim-Zam or what is known as tether ball. I forget what it is called now, but it is a ball tethered on a pole that you hit around and around.

the old 'zim-zam'


kind of what the boys got


My mom, in pure Grandmom fashion, decided that there was enough room for them to try it out in our living room. The boys just looked at me when she suggested that. The were on the edge of their seats to see what I would say. Even I had to bend the rules a bit, after all it was Grandmom and Christmas time. So, they were overjoyed when I let them break the no ball playing in the house rule!

Brian Jr. and I played first - it was a lot of fun. I didn't hold back much and he seemed a little surprised that I was better than him. A little more flimsy than I remember mine being - but it was the same idea. This one was almost all plastic and mine was mostly metal. Then my mom played Brian and finally Brian and Sean played each other. This is when it got a little out of control and I had to put a stop.

As usual, they got too competitive and started fighting. I think next time they can play it outside. Not that it will stop the fighting but I won't have to hear them or be close enough for them to try and get me to take sides - they will have to figure things out for themselves. Which is sometimes the best way. When they both come to me upset, I give them two options - put it away or stop playing it or work it out together so you can both be happy. Believe it or not, they usually find a compromise. Sean is younger and doesn't understand as much but Brian will usually give Sean a turn first or let him have his way in order to keep playing. Sean is more stubborn, either that or he doesn't know any better, but he will sometimes vote for putting away the toy and moving onto something else. Maybe it is becaue of his shorter attention span too?

Justin again slept through the presents and made the boys stand drooling over his presents. They looked like our dog when we are eating - just standing their licking their lips and leaking saliva all over the place, never once averting their gaze from the prize at hand. When Justin woke up, they again helped him open his presents. They were very excited by the Playskool Busy Ball Popper and have played with it more than he has.


Busy Ball Popper



Sean opening gifts


Brian opening gifts
Sean copying me
Brian playing tether ball
having a great time
no teeth

Justin trying to figure things out

Justin loves paper

1 comment:

Rachel @ Moments With My Miracles said...

Okay, Samuel plays with that ball popper way more than EK too. That is so funny! Oh, I wish we lived closer so we could all hang out!