Sunday, November 18, 2007

Foohy to Phooey!

Since I cannot spell, I Googled Fooey when I was looking for Foohy the other day. I came up with things for Phooey too. And you'll never guess what I found! Hong Kong Phooey! If you were a kid in the early 70's then you know who I am talking about! He was a janitor that ran into a closet and changed into a villian fighting super hero with some crazy karate moves!





When this carton was on, it was so different from today. There were not cartoons on 24 hours a day - and let alone 30 channels to watch them on. Now there is Nickeloedon, Nick Toons, Nickelodeon 2, GAS, Disney Channel, Cartoon Network etc. I don't think the major networks even play cartoons all day on Saturday anymore. We only had Saturday mornings, PBS and maybe and after school special or two! Maybe that is why we played outside so much more than kids do today. Although I have to say, my kids spend a lot of time outside. And when they don't want to go outside, I send them out anyway. I think fresh air is good for them, and so is time away for me. They sometimes protest but quickly find something to do and forget that they even wanted to watch TV.

I was trying to think of some other shows from my youth. Scooby-Doo. Tom and Jerry. The Great Space Coaster. Captain Kangaroo. The Electric Comapny. The New Zoo Review. Smurfs. Gummi Bears. Fat Albert. Looney Toons. The Muppets. Land of the Lost. Woody Woodpecker. Heckle and Jeckle. Mighty Mouse. Sigmund the Sea Monster. Josie and the Pussycats. The Monkees. The Jetsons. H.R. Pufnstuf. The Pink Panther. Mr. Magoo. Space Ghost. Casper the Friendly Ghost. Super Friends. He-Man. Popeye. Romper Room. Maggila Gorilla. The Great Grape Ape. Lassie. Little House on the Prarie. Johnny Quest. Brady Bunch. Dastardly and Muttly. Dudley Do Right. Yogi Bear. Flinstones. Gilligan's Island. Gumby. Huckleberry Hound. Growing Pains. Our Gang. Lone Ranger. M*A*S*H*. The Munsters. Punky Brewster. Rocky and Bullwinkle. The Three Stooges. The Banana Splits. Greatest American Hero. The Mighty Heroes. Speed Buggy. Jabberjaw. Pac-Man. Speed Racer. Super Chicken. Wonder Woman. Six Million Dollar Man. Batman. The Hulk. Babar. Snaggle Puss. Webster. My Two Dads. Head of the Class. Small Wonder. Just the Ten of Us. Eight is Enough. Mr. Belvedere. Love Boat. Underdog. Perfect Strangers. Blossom. The Partridge Family. Good Times. The Facts of Life. Different Strokes. Mork and Mindy. Fantasy Island. Bosom Buddies. CHIPS. One Day at A Time. Alice. Happy Days. Laverne and Shirley. Magnum P.I. Night Rider. MacGyver. The A Team. Family Affair. Dennis the Mennis. That's Incredible. Ultra Man. Captain Cave Man. Let's Make a Deal. Harry and the Hendersons. Alf. Leave It To Beaver. I Love Lucy.

I searched on YouTube for the links! I cannot believe so many were on there - some I couldn't find the theme songs for - but I did the best I could! It brought back some memories and also helped me to think of some of the shows. No, I did not come up with all of them off the top of my head! Can you think of any more? I know there are more - I just thought of them now - no time to look for more links! - Rin Tin Tin, Benson...

I remember TV before the remote control! We had to turn a dial and then when you needed a channel after 12 you had to put it on the "U" and then turn the lower dial to get upper channels. My brother and I used to fight over shows and once we broke the dial off the TV! Then we had a cable box. It was a big box attached to the TV by a long cord. Ours could reach to the couch but we got in trouble for stretching it across the room! It had a long row of buttons and then a dial to switch between three levels to change the row of buttons!

Our digital cable has come a long way - we can now stop, rewind and pause live television. There are more channels than we could ever watch. I think Brian and Sean would think that I was crazy if I described the TVs I used to watch! And just think if they realized that movies were not available to buy two or three months after they were in the theatre! Can you imagine coming home after going to see a movie and telling the kids that you don't know when you will see it next? I can just hear the crying fits now! But, when I was a kid it didn't cost $75 for a family to go to the movies, so I guess we went to see it again!

It was such a special occasion as a kid when The Wizard of Oz,Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, or The Sound of Music came on TV. We all got comfy as a family and made popcorn - it was a big event! Then there were the holiday specials - Charlie Brown, Rudolph, Peter Cottontail and don't forget Baby New Year!. Now kids can rent them, buy them, and order them On Demand! They watch a movie for a few minutes and then come back to it days later - our DVD player even saves from the last spot. So, they can put the DVD back in and watch it from the exact spot they left off days before! They don't know how good they have it - of course I bet my parents said the same thing!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Oh wow! You came up with a TON of them! I can't believe you found all those links too! That must have taken you hours! I remember those old cable boxes too! Hee hee. It was a big event in my house when those movies came on TV. Break out the sleeping bags and the popcorn, The Wizard of Oz is on!
Maybe we should post about old video games sometime. We had pong. You know - it was a little square that you moved for every game! LOL!