Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Santa the Crook

Brian had two friends over after school today - Jerry and Zach! The boys were all so excited to have a group play date. I have to say they were absolutely wonderful and there was not one fight or even a disagreement! They played outside almost the whole time and when it started to get dark, I called them in. There was about twenty minutes left until pick-up time and the guys were talking about Santa.

It started with Jerry asking, "What do you guys have on your Christmas lists?" Brian said, "MP3 player, cell phone - a real one, video games." Zach said, "I want a credit card, a driver's license and one for my sister." Jerry said, "I want some Game Boy games, and a lifetime supply of chocolate!" They all agreed that chocolate and credit cards were great choices!

Then they started to swap stories about how each had snuck out of their rooms on Christmas Eve and saw Santa! Zach was the first to say,"I woke up and very, very quietly went on the steps and saw Santa!" Brian said, "What did he look like?" Zach replied, "Um, Santa. You know with a white beard." Brian said, "Yeah, I looked out my window and saw the reindeer - even Rudolph, he is real." Jerry asked, "Did you see Dipson too?" Brian and Zach looked at him puzzled. I had to jump in and save Jerry. I said, "Jerry, I think you mean Blitzen." He said, "Okay Blitzen." Brian said, "Yup, I saw them all."Then things got a little strange. I asked, "How does Santa fit all the toys into his sleigh?" There was a general consensus about a "big magic bag that can even hold a house."

Brian then said, "Do you know where Santa gets all of his toys?" He waited for a response and then said, "He steals them!" Zach said, "I know - from Toys R Us. Because Santa has no money." Jerry said, "Yup, either that or he makes them." Brian said, "I want a real Eagles game football." Jerry said, "Well, Santa can't steal that from Toys R Us! He will have to steal it from a quarterback!"

By this time I was about to be rolling on the floor laughing my butt off! Then when I thought it couldn't get any better, it did! I asked them how big they thought an elf was. Brian said, "Oh about the size of a baby like Justin." Zach said, "Yeah - but the elf can build toys better than a baby!" Jerry said, "I think elves are about Sean's size." And then he went over and measured Sean against himself as to check his answer! I said, "Ooooh Sean you can be an elf for Halloween next year." The boys all said they wanted to be real elves so they could visit Santa and make themselves whatever toys they wanted.

Then, Brian said, "I want to be Santa for Halloween! Sean can be a reindeer and Justin an elf!" He looked at me and said, "Mom what will you be?" I said, "Mrs. Claus." They all laughed. Then I said, "No, I will be Santa's Mom." Jerry started to laugh and said, "Santa doesn't have a mom. I have never seen her in any book. Santa made himself, so he doesn't have a mom." Wow Santa is even more magical than once thought!

Next, I asked them, "Does Santa have any kids?" They all replied, "NO!" I asked why and Brian said, "Because then he would have no time to make toys, his kids would always want him to play!" So true, so true! I love kids at this age. I was so sad when Brian started growing up. But as much as I miss him being a chubby little baby, I like finding out who he is and what he is thinking even more!"

1 comment:

Rick said...

Funny - those boy's logic was iron clad.

My daughter asked me once, (a long time ago), "Do reindeer really fly?" I thought, oh boy. Here goes. The begin of the death of the Santa myth." I said, "No, they don't fly." She thought for a moment and then asked, "Then how does Santa carry all those gifts." She was ready to let go of the idea of flying reindeer, but not Santa.