Saturday, November 10, 2007

Poopy Saturday!

We headed to the University of Delaware today to see my nephew Joe play football again. We got off to a late start but luckily, we parked with plenty of time to make it to the game. It was really cold and we packed plenty of blankets and hats and gloves. The boys got out of the car and we got Justin out of his car seat to put his snowsuit on. He smelled a little funny, so I thought I should check his diaper before we went into the stadium.

I put him down on the front seat and got through his five layers to his diaper. I saw that he had definitely pooped and some had gotten on the edge of his onsie. Okay, not too bad. I was weighing the amount of poop on the edge of the leg hole with the amount of time it would take to get him completely changed. The little bit of poop won - I figured he would be fine. This is what happens to the third child.

With the first child - you panic. I might of made Brian Sr. drive down the street to a hotel so I could give Brian a bath and warm him up before I redressed him for the game. With the second you realize he will be fine with a wipe bath and do the best you can with what you have. I would have changed all Sean's clothes - even his socks just in case I missed a little poop somewhere. With the third you try to figure out how much a little poop stain will smell through five layers of clothes and a snowsuit! I figured it wouldn't smell too bad - especially since breast milk poop doesn't really smell very bad at all. It has a sour kind of smell but definitely not a poop smell!

So, I take some wipes and start to clean off the edge of his onsie. I follow the bright yellow poop trail around the leg hole. I am proud of myself because I got most of it out with only the wipes! Then I have one of those moments that I talk about where you are frozen in time; staring at something in disbelief. I lifted up his bottom to get he diaper out and OH MY GOSH!

It was - poop everywhere. It was - a disaster. It was - through three of the five layers he had on! It was - all up his back and almost to his neck! It was - slimy and goopy! It was - a good thing I don't have a weak stomach. It was - a good thing I packed him an extra set of layers!

Again, I stood there and stared again - this time it was the "how in the world do I do this without getting poop on me and the car" stare! I knew exactly what to do - I was an experienced Mom. I have seen my share of blow-outs before. I can handle this!

I got his diaper area clean and decided to sit him up so that I could get his shirts off. I rolled them from the bottom up to trap the poop inside the shirts. I did this so that when I took them off over his head no poop would get in his hair! I don't know what I would have done then. Well, he is the third - maybe used a wipe or poured a cold water bottle over his head and then put his hat back on?

Then I wiped him clean. By the way - he smiled and cooed the whole time! What a little stinker - literally! I really thought that he was going to cry. I did change him in the car, but the door was open and it was windy and about 40 degrees with a strong breeze. If someone took off all my clothes in that weather and then tried to clean me with a freezing cold wipe - I would have screamed! Nope, not Justin - he is such a happy go with the flow baby!


sitting Justin up to clean his back

the blow out!


We made it up into the stands and had only missed the first few seconds of the game. We were in the top row of the stadium and as I said it was really windy! The boys were freezing before the first quarter was over! Well, they said they were freezing anyway. They each had on a shirt, a hooded sweat shirt, jeans, a jacket, a hat with their hoods pulled up over it, gloves, and a fleece blanket! I would bet anything that if it was snowing and they were outside playing and had on the same amount of clothing, that they wouldn't be cold! It wasn't even below freezing!

It was a really good game and they had to play five overtimes! Can you imagine? The kids were so excited and counting down the minutes to the fourth quarter so they could get in the car and get warm. It looked like Delaware was going to lose and then they got the ball back with less than a minute to go. After a few quick plays, Joe rushed in for a touchdown with less than a second left on the clock and tied up the game. Brian Jr. said, "Oh good a tie. Now can we go home?" No ties in football! The boys were now excited that Delaware might win but just wanted the game to be over after the second overtime.

Some tears were shed during the last two overtimes - they have been told that there is no crying in baseball - I guess it is allowed in football. I was waiting for someone to make a rude comment about the crying kids. Either a dirty look that said "Make your kids be quiet" or a shameful look that said "Will you get those poor kids home to get warm!" But we got neither because our section was pretty much deserted after the thrid quarter. Wimps!
*disclaimer - the boys were not really cold, just bored, and if they had been really cold I would have taken them to the car*

In the first overtime, both teams scored a touch down and got the extra point - still tied. In the second overtime, the same thing happened. In the third over time, Richmond didn't score and Delaware missed the field goal - it was a bad snap and actually hit the upright!! Ugh! In the fourth overtime, they both scored and both got the two-point conversion! In the fifth overtime Richmond scored and missed the two-point conversion - but Delaware failed to score! It was so crazy - back and forth and back and forth! What a roller coaster of winning and losing. I could hardly sit still, I cannot imagine how the players were feeling.

It was still a good game and they have nothing to be ashamed of - Joe completed 26 of 38 passes for 375 yards and rushed for two touchdowns - all in all a good game but not a win. It was the longest game in Delaware history and the 118 combined points was also a record. So a double poopy Saturday - Justin's blow-out and a Delaware loss. The have to win next week at Villanova to guarantee a play-off spot! Go Blue Hens!

great photo of Joe from Delaware's website!

Brian and Sean trying to keep warm what a great picture!Brian all bundled upSean bored and playing GameBoystill trying to keep warmJustin and Joe

No comments: