Friday, November 30, 2007

Can you spell egg?

I love the conversations that we have with the boys in the car and especially the ones that they have with each other. This is one of the reasons that I opted to not have a DVD player in the car. I would have missed out on this great conversation because my kids would have been staring at a screen like lifeless zombies.

Brian - "Sean can you spell egg?"
Sean - "Yes, p-o-o." - oooh so close
Brian - laughing, "No, that spells poo!"
Sean - laughing harder, "Poo, ha, ha, ha, poo! Like poop!"
Brian - "It is spelled e-g-g."
Sean - "Oh, e-e-g."
Brian - "No Sean. e-g-g."
Sean - "E-e-g-g-e."
Sean - "E-e-e-e-e-g-g-g-g-e-g-e!"
Brian - "No Sean. It is e-g-g."
Sean - "Okay. P-o-o!"
Brian - "Mom Sean is not listening about how to spell egg!"
Me - "If Sean doesn't want to learn then leave him alone."
Brian - "SEAN it is e-g-g!" - why did he even ask me?
Sean - laughing and laughing, "S-f-h-b-v-q!"
Brian - " NO-O-O-O-O!"
Sean - still laughing, "Mom what does s-f-h-b-v-g spell?"
Me - "Um let me think, ss-fuh-buh-vuh-guh."
Sean - roaring with laughter, "I spelled a word!"
Brian - "Mom that is not a word!... is it?"
Me - "Not a real word but sometimes it is fun to make up words."

Now they keep shouting out crazy letter combinations for me to sound out for their new 'words'. Luckily, we were not too far from our destination! If this keeps up we might need our own dictionary!

On the ride home the spelling continued.

Brian - "Mom there are different ways to spell Brian."
Me - "Yes, there are."
Brian - "You can spell it like me or B-r-y-a-n."
Me - "Yes, that is right."
Brian - "Can you spell it B-r-i-a-n-e?"
Me - "No, not really."
Brian - "Well, can I start spelling my name B-r-y-a-n for a change?"
Me - "No. That is not your name."
Brian - "Yes it is. It still spells Brian."
Me - "Yes you are right, but not how we wanted to spell it when we named you."
Brian - "Oh. How about when I am 47?"
Me - "Well, when you are 47 you can spell it how you like."
Brian - completely satisfied, "Okay!"

Secretly, I had to laugh. My Mom is proabably already laughing. I went through a period in high school when I wanted to change the spelling of my name. I told my Mom and Dad that I would be Kym and not Kim and that I would be Kymberleigh and not Kimberly! They were such good sports and played along. They wrote my name on cards, and such, the way that I wanted it to be spelled. I still have an envelope to a card that has Kym on it in my Mom's handwriting! So, wanting a 'Y' in his name was too funny to me. He is my son!

When I was young, I used to babysit a boy named Danny every Wednesday. He went through a time when he wanted to be called Snowball and that is all that he would answer too. At that age, I thought that it was so crazy. Now I am finding that it is pretty normal. Well, whatever normal is anyway!

No comments: