Friday, November 9, 2007

Lego Sponge Bob

Sean came up from the basement with these yellow Legos today. He gave them to me and said, "Mom, can you build me a Sponge Bob with these?" I had to tell him that I had no idea how to build a Sponge Bob with these Legos. He looked at me with those sad puppy dog eyes. So, I built few things, none of which looked anything like Sponge Bob. He finally gave up and gathered his Legos and went back downstairs.


any ideas?


I can build Legos - but only the kind that come with the right pieces and directions. I am good a following directions, just don't ask me to build a ship or a plane or an undersea creature off the top of my head - not happening. My brain just doesn't work that way.

I felt bad for him - I guess I should have majored in Advanced Lego Engineering in college. I would be getting more use out of it now than I am from Calculus or Organic Chemistry! I am sure my old texts books for both classes would read like a foreign language to me. I am remembering something about tangents and cosines. I decided to look up cosine in the dictionary - it has been so long that I forgot how to spell it. (Stop laughing Brian) Webster's New World Dictionary defines it as, "the ratio between the side adjacent to a given acute angle in a right triangle and the hypotenuse; reciprocal of the secant of an angle or arc." Okay, is everyone clear?

I guess that was because I was doing Calculus with my before-kids brain! It really makes a lot of difference. I am not even going to try to remember my Chemistry stuff - I am seeing some building of molecules - Ugh, my brain hurts! I remember more than a few teachers trying to tell me that different classes have practical, everyday applications!

Unless they start offering classes like - How to grocery shop for pennies, Identifying different kinds of rashes and other scary marks, How to get poop, pee, grass, mud and keptchup out of clothes, How to wrestle like you are in WWF, How to do 101 things at once - and make dinner, How to drive with screaming kids in the car and maybe even How to make Playdough pizza or The many ways to get kids to eat veggies! I sure could have used some of that knowledge before I had kids!

No comments: