Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

This is how our Thanksgiving started off :
I was in the kitchen preparing the turkey to go in the oven and Sean walks in.
Sean -while pointing with a scrunched up face, "What is that thing?"
Me - "It's the turkey for today."
Sean - "Well, I'm not eating that!"
Apparently he doesn't recognize turkey unless it is walking around on a farm or cut up neatly on his plate!

After I got he turkey safely into the oven, we went to a local hotel. The hotel was sponsoring a group of Army National Guard Soldiers that were preparing to be deployed. They were from Connecticut and Ohio and were far from home. The hotel was having a big turkey dinner for them and volunteers even included a few local sports celebrities. We gathered with a large group of people to wave flags and show support for the soldiers.

It was a really amazing sight. The soldiers were totally surprised. There were tears of appreciation on more that one of the soldiers and most were shaking hands and even giving the little kids high-fives. There was a fire truck with a huge American flag waving form it's extended ladder. There were many different kinds of people and of all ages. It was very emotional and the tears of the soldiers were contagious.

I think it was a good experience for the boys and they seemed to enjoy themselves. Brian looked up in amazement at the soldiers. I was talking with another mom, who also happens to have three young boys. We were talking about how we want our kids to appreciate and support our soldiers, but we feel bad because we don't want it for our own kids. I really cannot imagine what the parents and loved ones of these brave men and women are going though right now.

Sean waving his flag

Brian with his flag

Sean
Brian watching the soldiers
really taking it all in


Next, the big boys went with Brian Sr. to our high school's football game. They saw many of their cousins and even had a football game of their own. Our team won the game! I guess some people don't know that Brian and I graduated together from high school but were just friends then. After we got married, we bought a house in the same town each of us grew up in. His parents live less than a mile away and my Mom lives a little over a mile away. It is nice for holidays - no fighting about whose side of the family to see - we can do both all the time!

We had a very nice dinner that started a little late - but that always seems to happen when I cook a big meal. My Mom came over and helped too! For dessert, I made apple pie and tried a new pumpkin mousse pie! I used to think that apple pie was my favorite, but this pumpkin mousse blew me away! I might have to share the recipe...

No comments: