Friday, November 16, 2007

Foohy Gum

Today, I was actually cleaning and the downstairs was to the point where I wouldn't be embarrassed if someone knocked on the front door. I say was because it was this way for about ten minutes and twenty-eight seconds. I know this, because this was the amount of time before the boys came in from playing out front. It is amazing how long it takes them to clean up but it is only a matter of seconds before they can rival any tornado.

Funny how life works that way with things. So hard to lose weight and so easy to gain it. (for most people anyway!) So hard for kids to listen and so easy for them to misbehave. So easy to cook and so hard to clean up. So easy to go out partying and so hard to get up the next morning. It seems like the fun things are hard and they not so fun things are easy. Life just isn't fair sometimes.

That is why straightening up the house drives me crazy. If I start upstairs, then the downstairs is a mess. Then I finish the downstairs and the kids have either retreated to the upstairs or to the basement and now one of them is a mess. So, I move to the basement and now the upstairs is a mess again! It is a never ending circle. The only time my whole house is clean is when all the boys and and the dog are gone all day! I love my clean house - but then I miss the boys - I can't win!

Okay, there I go again - just typing in completely the other direction! So where was I. Okay - I was cleaning. And what do I find? I have to add it was in the same place as the old banana that I found behind the TV cabinet. So Sean, I mean someone, has found a hiding spot. This time I found a big wad of gum with a Foohy stuck in it. What the heck is a Foohy? If you have school aged kids, I think you might just know.


Foohy Gum


Foohy is technically a brand name - they make erasers and markers and some other school supplies. These Foohy pencil topper erasers come in a pack of ten or pack of two large ones sell for about a dollar. My kids go crazy for the monkey head ones. There are also zoo ones and regular shaped pencil toppers that have fruity sents.

But the funny thing is, the teachers have banned these from the schools. The kids fight over them, and trade them, and throw them, and get mad if they don't have them! So, your kid begs you for these while shopping for school supplies, you give in since it is only a dollar and will keep them quiet for the remainder of the time in the store, and then they cannot use them at school after all!

a Foohy Family


I remember when we were back-to-school shopping for Brian. He said, "I need Foohys and you get them at Staplers." I had no idea what a Foohy was and thought Staplers was probably the office supply store, Staples. But no, he insisted that it was Staplers! When we got to the store I asked a clerk about Foohys. It was an older gentleman and he looked at me like I had two heads. I was thinking to myself that maybe there was a store called Staplers and I was just out of the loop. I then found a younger clerk and he knew exactly what I was talking about. They took us right to a big bin of them! Woo-hoo! Foohys!


our Foohy Collection


My post was supposed to be about a hidden wad of gum, and now it is about Foohys! Oh well, such is life. Well, my life anyway!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the Fooey blog! I am a 3rd grade teacher and I love Fooeys. My kids will do anything for one. I have allowed my kids to create "Fooeyland" as we study communities. They are so much more motivated to learn about the social complexities that accompany living in a community. Fooeys also give us a chance to learn to resolve confilct in a rational way. We have even held "Fooeycourt"! When kids love something so much, we should use it as a learning tool! Good luck with the Fooey gum! YUCK!
3rd teacher

Life Junkie said...

I just discovered that my six year old son's obsession with Foohys has caused him to become a thief and STEAL them from his friend's desk! I am so dismayed. Your blog helped me realize that other kids go just crazy over them - maybe not to the point of stealing but still, crazy.

Anonymous said...

foohys r great because i use them all the time.

Anonymous said...

3rd grade student,I think FOOHYS are cool to use and play with them!I PLAY WITH WITH MY BEST FRIEND. They are so popular in my classroom people even trade them or sell them!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE FOOHYS!!!!!!! I really really REALLY want the big foohy can you send it to me? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!