Monday, February 11, 2008

Face Black

I was changing Justin's diaper and Sean ran by me with something in his hand. It looked like he had chapstick, so I wasn't too worried. You would really think that when we are talking about Sean that I would have learned by now! He went into the bathroom and I figured that he was looking in the mirror to put it on. Big mistake in guessing what he was up to. Well, I got the applying something in the mirror right, but was way off on the chapstick part.

The first two pictures are what I saw when he came out of the bathroom. And boy was he proud of himself! Because he looked so proud I had to smile and tell him he looked great. What I really wanted to was yell and ask him what in the world would possess him to do such a thing!! I had no idea what he had gotten into. All of my make-up was upstairs and it didn't look like marker. Hmmmm. I thought maybe shoe polish, but I am not sure that we own any. Or maybe paint?

I went to get a closer look and still wasn't sure what he had done. Like any good Mom, I touched it with my finger and then smelled it. It was greasy and smelled like clay. I asked him what he put on his face. He said, with a huge smile, "I colored on my face with eye black and now I look like a big mean guy!" Yikes! Eye black is the black stuff that professional football and baseball players put under their eyes to reduce sun glare. And according to Sean, not only does it help them to see better, but it makes them look meaner!

The main ingredients are doesn't wear off for ten days and you need sand paper and cleanser to remove this. There must be some kind of trick or maybe they sell a solvent that I have never seen. Or maybe you are only supposed to put a little line under your eyes and not give yourself instant facial hair. If he is looking for hair growth, I would rather buy him a Chia Pet than get eye black off his face again. I checked and it doesn't say not suitable for children under ten or anything like that. There is a 1-800 number; maybe I should tell them they need a warning.

But that wouldn't have helped either - it is not like Sean can read. And even if he could it wouldn't have made any difference. They put warnings on markers and crayons and play dough about staining and harm to fabrics and clothing. But do you think the kids actually listen to this? I can see the kids now, "Uh-oh it says Mom might never get this out of the rug, we better put it away right now!" Not happening in my house. I think knowing the warnings might actually make them want to use it more!

I wiped and he screamed. I wiped some more and he screamed some more. This cycle went on for some time. But the only thing I succeeded in doing was smearing it around his face. I think he actually had more of it on his face when I was done. This is in part because he was wriggling around and throwing a fit so it was getting wiped in places that he didn't even draw on. Have you even tried to hold onto a screaming kid and at the same time clean some permanent stain off of his face? It has to be easier to catch a greased pig! And also because the stuff is made of petrolatum, mineral oil, beeswax, microcrystalline wax, synthetic wax, iron oxide etc. I wonder what Tide.com has to say about getting that out of clothes!

I tried warm water and mild soap on a paper towel. I tried baby wipes. I tried shampoo. I tried baby lotion. I tried peanut butter and mayonnaise. I tried Brian Sr.'s toothbrush. It was suggested by my father in-law that I use nail polish remover, but I did not think that Sean needed a chemical peel at age four! I guess the combination of everything finally worked, but he was still left with a grey tint to his face. It was like he had a five o'clock shadow for the rest of the day!

Maybe I should invent some eye black remover. But then again, I am sure that there is some simple trick that no one has told me! I am just glad it worked because the next step was to stick his head in the washer. Hey, I would use the gentle cycle and some no tears laundry detergent! They make that for just such an occasion, right?


look at me!
Blankie wiped a little off

Mom making it worseYou ruined all my fun!

No comments: