Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Latch On, Latch Off

Justin has a new game - he can latch on and off while nursing. He thinks he is so great and gives me big smiles when he does this! It is really cute! And of course his favorite time to do this is in public or when we have to go somewhere and I don't have all day for him to play! Most of the time he just wants to smile at me but other times he is just nosy. When the boys come in the room or he hears a sound, he has to turn his head and arch his back to try to see where it is coming form!

He even has more tricks - bite mommy - even toothless gums hurt! And my favorite - bite mommy and then throw your head back at a hundred miles per hour while still biting! He really gets a kick out of this one and giggles and giggles when I jump and yell, "OUCH!" Needless to say, I am in no hurry for his teeth to come in.

Sean wasn't a big biter. The reason Brian got weaned was because he bit me three nights in a row. Three strikes and you're out in my book. The next night he got a sippy cup with milk and that was the end of nursing. I was a little sad because it ended so suddenly. It was a nice quiet bonding time with him - especially after he was mobile.

I am glad that I am/was able to nurse the boys. I know it isn't for everyone but it is special to me. To see them grow and thrive, and know that it is from the milk I make for them and the love our family gives to them. I am not one of those people who believe babies that aren't nursed are at a disadvantage. I nursed Brian and Sean for six months until I added anything else to their diets - and they both still got food allergies. I did read that breast feeding exclusively for six months can lower their risk for diabetes - so with Brian Sr. a diabetic I figured I would give them the best odds. Breast feeding is a lot of work and it one of the biggest commitments I have ever made - but to me, well worth it!

No comments: