Monday, September 10, 2007

Sean's First Day of School!

Well, today was off to a rough start - neither Brian nor Sean wanted to go to school! If I had a nickel for every time I said, "Get dressed!", "Eat your breakfast!", "Get your shoes on!", "Leave Justin alone!" - then I would be going a vacation by June! Finally, they came around and decided to eat and get dressed - after a harmless threat or two! It was an easy drop off for Brian - he saw a few friends and got right into line. He gave me a wave, walked into the building and I had to fight the tears! I am not sure why - maybe it was because I was emotional about Sean's first day. I usually only cry the first day - well, the last day too!

Sean started crying as soon as we parked by his school. He didn't want to go into school. He said, "I'm not going in if there is a teacher in there!" Okay, sure, no problem. Four year olds can take care of themselves! We still had to figure out which classroom he was in. This is because yesterday at his "meet the teachers day", he was put in the wrong classroom. The whole reason I wasn't sending him to the four year old program in our district is because he isn't ready. So, we go into his classroom and meet his teacher. Then I see someone I know and her son is turning five next month. Hmmm. So, I ask the teacher and she says Sean is the youngest in the class by about seven or eight months. I calmly explain to her that I think Sean is in the wrong class. Then I have to go find the director and speak to her. She says they will figure it out and let me know tomorrow.

Back to this morning. I have to wait and wait because there are so many people that couldn't make it yesterday so they don't know what room their kid needs to go to. Finally, we get it figured out and she says the room he had been in was, indeed, to old for him. Thanks! She has another room with younger four year olds but most of them are going to Kindergarten next year. I told her he is not going to Kindergarten next year, so they are probably too old for him too.

So, now he is in a class with mostly three year olds. Which is fine because the majority of them are turning four October through December. Which only puts Sean two to four months older. Some of the kids are younger but all will be four by February. So, the greatest age span in the class is six months. It is funny, she says, because most parents wanted their kids moved up, I was the only one who wanted a child moved down! I want him to enjoy school and to have fun. Not to be stressed because he is the last to learn something or things are too hard for him. He has so many more years of school that I really want him to start off with a positive experience.

I am happy, Sean sees a kid he knows, and there are Geo-Trax out on the floor - what could be better! He kisses me good-bye and we hang up his backpack. It was almost too easy. Then I get to the car and realize that I didn't cry - not even weepy eyes. I wonder if it was because he was happy or because he is my second. Maybe it was because I left him and didn't have to stand behind a fence watching him disappear behind a door, like with Brian. Who knows but it was strange because I expected to cry...
Sean and Brian
what a pose!
what a mug!

No comments: