Saturday, September 8, 2007

Soccer Season Opens!

Soccer season started this morning at 9am. The heat index had to be close to 100 degrees. There was no shade for at least five miles and we were begging for even a hint of a breeze. But, like the mail - soccer must go on. The game was off to a slow start - you could tell the kids were all a bit rusty from their year long hiatus. Eventually, though, they got back into the groove of things. Someone compared six year old soccer to a bee hive. They all buzz around like crazy in a swarm trying to get to kick the ball. It is better this year than last year, though. Five year old soccer should be considered a contact sport - teammate tackling teammate for the ball!

Some of them are sometimes so focused on the ball that they make a break away and run toward the wrong goal. They are so happy that they got the ball and don't hear the parents trying to help them out - until it is too late. (Reminds me of a highway scene in Planes , Trains and Automobiles - "You're going the wrong way! You're going the wrong way! - How does he know where we are going?") Oh, I feel so bad for the kid that scores in the wrong goal. The look of triumph and elation is momentary, and then all of a sudden reality smacks them in the face. Total embarrassment hits them like a tidal wave and washes away all traces of color. Their head drops down and they slowly walk back up the field. This is the walk of shame for little kids.

My son has been there, and it took every ounce of self-control not to run out on the field and protect Brian from the hecklers and menacing faces. But, I had to remember that mistakes and embarrassment are a part of growing up. Not a pretty part but, none the less, a part we have all had to deal with at one time or another. I think hear my Mom's or Grandmom's voice in my head - something about not getting killed and being stronger?

And to top it all off, our team finished its game first and there were a few minutes to spare. The other coach said to our coach "Let's let them play a few more minutes." (all the other teams were still playing) Our coach asked the kids, "Does anyone want to keep playing?" The silence was erie coming from the parents. We are all busy sending the same brain-wave message to our kids - No, No, No! As the coach waited for an answer, I saw Brian's mouth start to move and my heart began to beat faster. (Please say no, Please say no!) But I know Brian too well and he loves sports and is very competative. So, I already knew what was going to come out of his mouth. He said, "I want to play more coach!" All the parents were looking right at me with cold stares! Thankfully, the other kids wanted to go home - so I was off the hook this time!

When we got in the car, I asked Brian, "Why did you want to play more when you were so hot and tired?' His answer was so simple and obvious to him. He replied, "Mom, I didn't get to score a goal yet!" Maybe if he hadn't stopped to wave at a cute girl in his class, he might have scored a goal this week! I bet he doesn't know we saw his little shy wave to her!

After soccer we were headed to a birthday party. We were all ready to go and Sean ran up the stairs. I said, "Sean get in the car. It's time to go!" He said, "I'm going to get some underwear." I ask, "Where is your underwear?" He says, "I put it back in my drawer." The one time he actually cleans up. I ask, "Why didn't you put it on this morning?" He says, "Because I was hot down there." I have nothing more to say. I guess it is too hot to wear underwear to soccer but apparently you need them for a birthday party. I have no idea what prompted him to put them on - he usually goes "commando."


Brian running with a serious face
posing for a picture

Sean on the playground
with cousin Chris
Brian in goal
happy to be done playing goalie
fighting for the ball
look at the girl smiling at him!
cooling off after the game

No comments: