Thursday, September 20, 2007

Treading Water

Lately I feel like I cannot get my head above water. There are always three places I need to be at once and ten things I need to be doing at the same time. If you have kids - you know what I mean. There are normal chores and soccer and CCD and homework and kids to school and errands etc. All while making sure Justin is fed and on the right schedule to be able to do everything we need to get done in a day.

I feel like I just finished all the wash but there is the hamper full of three loads glaring at me! How can that be? I noticed Justin scratched himself on his cheek. I went to check his nails to see if maybe I missed a sharp edge or something and then realized that all his nails needed to be cut? Didn't I just do that two or three days ago? I guess it was longer? That means I had better check the boys' finger nails too! Then I looked at him and tried to remember when he last had a bath. I know it has been more than two days - could it be three - maybe four! Ugh! Again I was reminded Brian and Sean probably need a bath too! Hmmmm - how long has it been since I ran the dishwasher? Was the dog fed tonight? - I think so...

These are the things that keep me from falling asleep right away at night. Did I pay the cable bill? I have to balance the checking account! Oops - forgot to change Sean's appointment. Brian needs to bring in something to share on Tuesday - no toys. Sean has a trip on Monday and needs a lunch. (Still having issues about him going on a bus without a booster seat and only a lap belt.) We have soccer on Mondays and Saturdays - and I need to find and wash Brian's shirt. Did I pack Brian's lunch? Does Sean have enough dairy and egg free snacks left at school? Ugh - I forgot to call the insurance company about getting reimbursed for a self pay visit from June! And forgot to call the groomer to make the dog an appointment! What night was Brain Sr.'s doctor appointment? I know there was a funny story for the blog and I forgot to write it down - now I cannot remember! Do I have clean underwear for tomorrow? When is the last time I got a shower? I could go on forever!

Why do the days seem so short when you have so much to do? I would have liked my awkward junior high days to go by this quickly. I wish the minutes in Calculus class had flown by like they do now! How about number the days it took to get pregnant - now that's one wish I would gladly make! I spend most of the day trying to get things organized and schedules straight and get the most important things done first - that is if I can remember them - sorry dust you are not high on the list!

The funny part is I love the chaos and unpredictability of being a Mom - I wouldn't trade it for anything!

1 comment:

Nancy, Jeff, Connor & Porter said...

Kim,
Justin is getting so big!

You are so funny about wishing Jr high would have gone by as fast as life these days! No joke. That would have been great. That is one part of life I would NEVER choose to live over again!

Amazing that stuff gets done at all isn't it?? Moms make it happen though! You are truly a great hub to your family!

I have the same hungry caterpillar sleeper somewhere! Can't wait to put my new baby in it soon!

Nancy (babycenter friend)